10 interesting facts about Aqua Regia
Aqua regia, the solution that can dissolve gold and platinum is a mixture of two powerful acids highly used in industry. Here are top 10 facts about aqua regia that everybody should know.
- Aqua regia means regal water in Latin language.
- Despite its name, aqua regia is not water; it is a mixture of acids; Aqua regia is 1 part nitric acid HNO3 and 3 parts hydrochloric acid HCl.
- Aqua regia can dissolve gold and platinum.
- Aqua regia is used to produce chloroauric acid which is used for refining highest quality gold.
- Aqua regia is produced immediately before use because it loses its properties.
- Aqua regia was discovered around the year 800 AD by the alchemist Geber.
- Aqua regia produces an explosion when in contact with any organic compound (any C – H bond).
- Aqua regia is produced by adding nitric acid over hydrochloric acid, never vice versa.
- Aqua regia has to be manipulated only wearing protective equipment and in a safety environment.
- Aqua regia if stored might explode.
Back to index